It was 1866, a year after the Civil War ended.

Two guys, William Krueger and W. P. Peckham, decided to open a store in the village of Winnebago Rapids. Their shop at 107 W. Wisconsin Ave. sold hardware, wood-burning stoves, dynamite, tin and blacksmithing.

The village was later renamed Neenah.

Krueger later bought out his partner to be sole proprietor.

Full Story